Tuesday 31 March 2015

Ancillary Product: Making Changes to Magazine Cover (Draft 3)

From reflecting on the feedback that I received for my second draft, it is clear that my audience still believe that some of the information (particularly the magazine name) needs to be more noticeable against the background focal image. To do this, I played and experimented with some of the effects and filters that are available on Photoshop and I came across the Burn tool (seen in the screenshot on the right). This tool allowed me to burn the top of the focal image so that became darker, meaning the magazine's name could stand out more.
The finished effect is pictured directly above. I feel like this added effect really makes the magazine's logo stand out a lot more than it originally did. As well as this, I think further creates an ominous look to my magazine cover, further making the cover look like a horror film magazine, as the Burn tool has meant that the top of the cover has been made darker, almost resembling a shadow; an icon of the genre.
Another change that I made to the text on the magazine cover was changing the font for our film's name Occupied, so that it stood out against the focal image more, whilst still retaining a colour that fit within the cover's colour palette to keep a professional and uniform look. I decided to add an ombré effect on the text (the second effect on the second row in the screenshot on the right), and sampling one of the main beige/dull creamy brown colours that is featured within the focal image and applying it to the text. I feel this made it more noticeable against some of the other pieces of text on the cover, as it is the only one with an effect apart from the magazine name, as the title of the film should be one of the most important pieces of text on the cover as it is something the reader needs to know if they are thinking of watching the film. Also, effects like these make the overall look of the magazine more professional and interesting to look at for the reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment