Saturday 28 March 2015

Ancillary Product: Making Changes to Magazine Cover (Draft 2)

One of the changes I have made to my magazine cover after reflecting upon my audience feedback is changing the typography style of my magazine's logo to try and make it stand out more against the background focal image. I added an effect on the text that meant that it became more 3D, and added a fuzzy white and grey effect that resembles an analog television screen (something that is often seen within supernatural horror films as being quite creepy, iconically Poltergeist (1982)). I did this by choosing the second style on the bottom row in the screenshot shown on the right. This added a subtle whiteness to the font that I think makes it more noticeable against the focal image, whilst still remaining the dull, grey and ominous look I wanted for my magazine cover, as I didn't want to change it too drastically by making it a really bright and vibrant colour as this would contrast too much against the other colours featured on my cover and wouldn't maintain the iconic dull and ominous colours that are often associated with supernatural horrors.

One of the main pieces of feedback that I received for the first draft was that there was a lack of information on the cover and that meant it looked quite bare and didn't persuade the reader to watch the film or buy the magazine enough. I have circled the extra pieces of information I have added in yellow on the image on the left. One of the main pieces of information that I have added is the film's title which is something that I completely forgot during the production of my first draft. I had to include this as this is a vital piece of information as I can't guarantee that all of the readers will recognise the image and "The Sanders" and automatically know that it is for Occupied. I also decided to put this information in white to make it stand out against the focal image and the other pieces of information which are in red, to make it clear that this is the main article featured within the magazine, that it is for the main focal image featured, and because the magazine's logo and the film's title are the two most important pieces of information on the cover. I decided to use the font used for the film's logo as well as this makes it recognisable for fans who have already seen the poster and the teaser trailer.

With the extra pieces of information, I incorporated the star system with the use of "James Wan" on the right hand third of the cover, a popular and acclaimed director of many successful supernatural horror films, thus meaning that horror fans will be attracted to the magazine as they will recognise his name and want to know why he is featured in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment